Click to enlarge.
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Wow! It has been a long time since I've worn a green polish. This is my first experience with Nina Ultra Pro and I'm very happy. I think you can only find these polishes at Sally Beauty, I picked it up a while ago. This is a really great green that went on in 2 coats on most of my nails, 3 coats on one or two of them. I'm surprised at how nice it looks on me because it's a fairly yellow-based green. Normally anything yellowy looks a little odd, but this is great! The color reminds me of a green pepper's skin, very fresh looking. I was surprised at how glossy this ended up being, too.
Thursday, May 26, 2011
This polish is a recent release from Nicole by OPI and I believe it's only available at Target. I reviewed another polish from this collection a few weeks ago, Sea How Far You Go. These are both really great and I might look at getting some more colors before they disappear. Shell Me The Truth is a beautiful cotton-candy pink that is positively loaded with gold shimmer. This really looks and acts like a foil polish, it's so shiny! It does remind me of the pink-gold iridescence you see inside of seashells sometimes. My only complaint is that this took me 4 coats but if you have shorter nails then you won't need to apply as much to avoid your nail peeking through. Click the pictures to enlarge.
Here's a good shot of what the base color looks like without the shimmer showing off.
I told you it was something, didn't I?
Monday, May 23, 2011
I've been wearing a lot of lighter colors recently so I figured I'd go for something a little darker. Sinful Colors can be hit or miss but this is a big winner! Secret Admirer reminds me of graphite, a black base with lots of silver shimmer in it. Almost like sparkly coal. It's also very pigmented and could probably go on in one coat if you're careful! I did two.
Click to enlarge.
Friday, May 20, 2011
Hello everyone! Yes, another OPI. This one is called Shanghai Shimmer. It's a great pinkish-mauve with really cool green shimmer that unfortunately shows up as white shimmer in the photos. Trust me, it's there. This applied like a dream in two or three coats. I love this one!
Click to enlarge.
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Still trying to get back on a regular posting schedule, please forgive the recent lack of updates! This is OPI's Done Out in Deco. I really loved the color in the bottle but it has a jelly-creme consistency like Essie tends to and as a result it clung to my ridges and had some bald spots. I'm sure it's a great polish if you sit down and work with it but I'm not a fan of having to baby my polish application. It's certainly a beautiful color though! Perhaps I just apply polish too hastily. This was 3 coats.
Click to enlarge.
Monday, May 9, 2011
Whew! Feels like it's been so long since you've actually seen my nails. Sorry about that. I've had a very hectic week full of moving and summer transition stuff but I'm finally settled and back into my groove! Orly's Royal Navy is a very neat deep blue with teal shimmer that can be slightly sheer. In this picture it's two coats over one coat of China Glaze's Frostbite, an amazing bright BRIGHT blue. I apologize that this is slightly blurry.
Click to enlarge.
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
First of all I'd like to thank my family, my friends, and everyone who's supported me.. Wait, it's not a real award? Shoot! Just kidding. :) I feel very honored to have gotten my first blog tag from Sylvia at Nailart Creations. The rules are to give 10 facts about yourself and then tag 10 other bloggers. Here we go!
1) My goal right now is to work in the field of public health. I think I'd like to study food safety and access to food but who knows.
2) I drive a 1970 Volkswagen bus named Marianne. She's my first car and I'll have had her for, I think, 4 years this December! Here's a picture at a car show I went to a while back.
3) I have 4 rats that I love very much. Luna is white with pink eyes, Pandi is brownish-black with a white belly, Emily is white with a butterscotch-colored head, and Leah is black and white spotted with very big ears! I only have a picture of Luna and Pandi but here you go. Aren't they cute? I think rats are great pets, very friendly and energetic.
4) Even though I look very white, I identify as Hispanic. My grandfather was from Ecuador and I consider it a very important part of my heritage.
5) I have been using the internet for a very long time, since I was 4 or so. That's how I grew up into the nerd I am today. :) I have always loved computers and the internet, my laptop is my primary method of entertainment and socialization. I used to play World of Warcraft (and might start back up soon) but now I mostly read a lot of blogs and play Minecraft or The Sims 3.
6) Nail polish is really the only part of makeup and beauty that I'm very into. I do try and take care of my skin but I hardly ever wear anything more than lip balm. I do like doing my makeup but I'm rather lazy!
7) I don't remember the last time I turned on a TV to watch something! I used to be a big fan of House but I'm just not one for following weekly shows. I do like my Netflix subscription a lot though.
8) I used to have very long hair down to my hips but then I cut it all off up to my shoulders last year. It was very cool because when all that weight got taken off, my 'straight' hair sprung up into curls! I had always said how I wished for curly hair, I guess it was there all along.
9) I like organizing things into files or baskets, but only when it's for other people. My own stuff is strewn around everywhere.
10) I would probably go barefoot everywhere if I could. I mostly wear sandals and flats which is as close as I can get.
Whew! That was harder than I thought. Here are my 10 tags:
Even if I didn't tag you, feel free to do the tag on your own blog!
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
This will be a non-polish post so if you're not interested, feel free to skip this one! With that said, I'd like to get up on my tiny soap box and let you all know about a very interesting and worthwhile project that's in the works. My good friend Nick is resurrecting his Three Dollars a Day project at http://threedollarsaday.blogspot.com in the month of June but is setting the groundwork for it now. The blog will be a chronicle of his experience living on the very real food budget that many US citizens face: three dollars a day. Can you imagine living on that? I bet a lot of people spend more on coffee in the morning. Not only will he limit his food budget but he'll transport himself as someone without the money to pay high gas prices or unexpected car bills would, by public transportation or his own two feet. The blog will cover his own experiences day to day as well as touching on topics related to poverty, hunger, and the system that has created this situation for the people who live like this day to day. I think so many of us take for granted the ability to go to the grocery store and load up our carts with little concern for the prices on what we buy or the ability to go out for a nice meal with friends. So please, if you want to learn more and maybe find out how to help, go follow him and support the project.